About us
Hospital Rating Form
Upcoming Events
Health News
Center for Excellence in Nursing
Photo Album
In their own words
Share your Experience
Elizabeth's Blog
(Discussion) forum
Guest Comments

On this page are a few of the many women and babies dying unnecessarily in Ghana's hospitals, and the devastated families they leave behind. We hope it spurs us all into action. No longer should we allow these needless deaths to occur under our watch.

Nyilale Vaah Junior, March 9, 2010. A very healthy baby, delivered fresh stillborn at Lister Hospital because doctors and nurses at the hospital did not do what they knew they should have done to enable him live. Contrary to standard protocol, health professionals at Lister did not monitor the fetal heartbeat from 8am to 3.30pm when he was delivered stillborn. Not even after Oxytocin had been administered to his mother did anyone think it wise to monitor his heartbeat. He was left unattended to for minutes even after he was born.

Sister Nancy, wife of John Darko Dec 4, 2011. Another woman cut in her prime. Our heart bleeds for yet another woman cut in the prime of life, with two children now orphans and a distraught husband. Read Nancy's heartbreaking story as told by her husband at this link

Nii Amankwah Addo and his wife Mame Adwoa Sarfoa Addo were looking forward to their first born twin girls and a taste of parental bliss. Instead, the couple recounts their heart wrenching experience as Mame Adwoa, instead of getting a C-Section as had been indicated in her medical records, gave birth to a macerated baby and endured a twelve hour ordeal that ended with her losing her remaining twin daughter under circumstances that one cannot describe. We hope that their petition to the Minister of Health would "for once" give the couple the answers they seek, and help give the Ghanaian child bearing woman the assurance she needs to be able to trust in Ghana's health system again.

Hamdiatu Ayamga, 32 year old mother of five, met her untimely death when on May 29, 2010, she was rushed in labour at around 7pm  to a public hospital in Tema but was turned away without any care. The profusely bleeding Hamdiatu was then transported via commercial transport (when there was a parked AMBULANCE at the hospital)  to two more public hospitals in Accra but she was turned away over and over again untill she was finally accepted in another public hospital. Her exhausted husband returned home to take care of the children only to be told the next morning on his return that his wife and baby had passed away. Another victim of a broken health care delivery system.

Sadia, 25, started attending ante-natal care when she found out she was 6 weeks pregnant with her first baby. At 7 months gestation a scan indicated a breech presentation. A scan at 9 months again indicated breech presentation (legs down and head up). She went past her due date and started feeling labour pains on the night of March 30, 2010. After hours of pain Sadia delivered a stillborn baby in a teaching hospital in Tamale. She was discharged with no medication, no advice, NADA. Attempts to trace her card to find out what EXACTLY happened have been unsuccessful.
Question is, could early intervention, ie CS have saved her baby boy and spared this young couple this agony? Are our health professionals trained to counsel such women/couples?

Dzifa Agborfortsi, 27 years, died delivering her second baby. She was left unattended and ended up delivering her baby right onto the concrete floor of a District Hospital in the Volta region. When her distraught husband, Simon, protested and reported the matter for investigations to be conducted, poor Dzifa was neglected by hospital staff, resulting in her death a few days afterwards. Who speaks for the Dzifas of Ghana?

Priscilla and her husband were delighted at the thought of having their baby girl Michelle in the family, having already had a son. After going past her due date without any sign of labour, she had to "remind" her Gynae that she was actually past her due date. She was made to come in for labour to be induced at an Accra private clinic. After hours of being in pain after the induction, she was made to walk to another part of the hospital, despite her pleas that the baby was coming and that she couldn't. Eventually, Michelle Nana Akua Agyekum-Agyen was delivered fresh stillborn. Poor Priscilla had to be rushed to another hospital where the excessive bleeding was stopped and her life saved.

Jimmy Obimpeh and his wife Mavis, saw their joy of being parents for the first time shattered at an Accra Hospital where Mavis was left unattended for a long time. The result? Their son Makafui was born "struggling to survive" and died three days later. A distraught Obimpeh recounts his story.

In Sept 2009, a young couple's joy of parenthood was cut short when the mother to be bled to her death after delivery at a private hospital in Accra. There was no ambulance to convey the bleeding mother to where she could have better care, neither was any blood available to be given her. The young widow, had to carry his dead wife around Accra looking for a mortuary. George Ayarik still weeps for his lost love.

Kwabena Ntiamoah and his wife bare the ridicule of friends and foe after twenty three years of marriage without any issue. When the wife finally got pregnant via IVF, their joy knew no bounds. On March 8, 2010 however, their anticipated joy became a nightmare when their quintuplets were delivered pre-term via C-Section at a private hospital in Tema. There were no incubators nor ambulance to enable them transport the babies to Korle Bu. One thing followed another resulting in the loss of four out of the five babies.   

Rosemary reported at an Accra public hospital in severe pain as a result of an ectopic pregnancy. She lay in pain unattended to and very weak for three days, until someone her mum knew eventually got her to be attended to. A nurse actually came to ask her on the third day "enti wo nwuu ye" literally translated, " so you are not dead?" Rosemary continues to be on antibiotics six months after the operation.